Individual Services Meeting
May 8, 2014
In attendance: Deb Aloisi, Friends of the Homeless, Dave Christopolis, Three County CoC, Carl Cignoni, DOC Reentry Services/Hampshire House if Corrections, Danielle DeBerry, ServiceNet, Janice Humason, Friends of the Homeless, Jeffrey Langlois, providence Ministries, Jay Levy, Eliot CHS – Homeless Services, Jenifer Lucca, Samaratin Inn, Bill Miller, Friends of the Homeless, Dave Modzelewski, Network, Rebecca Muller, Grantworks, Lizzy Ortiz, City of Springfield, Gerry McCafferty, City of Springfield, Patricia McDonnell, SMOC, Donna Nadeau, DHCD, Ramon Planas, Dept. of Elder Affairs, Laura Saponare, Catholic Charities, Joe Schroeter, Eliot CHS-Homeless Services, Pamela Schwartz, Network, Betsy Shally-Jensen, CDH – A Positive Place
Coordinated intake and assessment update and process:
Gerry McCafferty provided an overview and summary of where this conversations stands:
There are 2 entry points for the coordinated assessment process:
(1) The “front door,” i.e., before people enter shelter, assessing the individual to establish if diversion is possible
(2) once in shelter, assessing the individual to determine the most suitable intervention to get the person housed. Based on Hampden County CoC data, 65% of the individuals who access shelter exit it within 30 days; the other 35% spend varying lengths of time, up to and over a year. This component of assessment is focused on this longer-stay population, which is the basis for this Network effort thus far.
Gerry spoke with Heidi Gold of DHCD to ensure that our work on coordinated assessment is complementary to state efforts. Gerry learned DHCD is primarily focused on the “front door” assessment piece to maximize diversion. Heidi encouraged us to continue work on our assessment piece with the promise of providing a model for other regions across the state.
The need for coordination and communication became especially clear in the last couple of weeks as several providers acknowledged the difficulty in filling Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) units with very targeted populations, e.g., chronically homeless person with HIV or having been involved with criminal justice system, etc. A coordinated assessment system could help us locate that person and match him/her to the opening.
Gerry distributed copies of the VI-SPDAT tool – Vulnerabilty Index – Service Prioritization Determination Assistance Tool. You can find it by copying going here Continue reading