TODAY: Join National Tweetstorm or Comment to Keep Families Together
Please see this action alert below from the National Low Income Housing Coalition. Whether it’s a tweet or submitting a comment, it will take only a minute and we have until the deadline of TOMORROW, July 9, to be heard!
Thanks to your efforts, over 10,000 comments have been submitted in response to HUD’s cruel proposal to evict 25,000 mixed-status immigrant families – including more than 55,000 children who are U.S. citizens or have legal status – from HUD-assisted housing.
To build on this success, NLIHC, the National Housing Law Project, and other leaders are calling for a national tweetstorm on Monday, July 8 from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. ET to encourage organizations and individuals to submit comments before the July 9 deadline. Be sure to include #KeepFamiliesTogether in your tweets.
How You Can Participate!
NLIHC and NHLP are leading the effort to oppose HUD’s harmful and cruel proposal and have developed resources to help you draft and submit comments, including a Myth vs. Fact factsheet, a Spanish language commenting portal and fact sheet, and state and demographic data. Comments are most useful when they contain original language.
Some suggested tweets are below:
- A proposal to evict over 100,000 people during a housing crisis is unconscionable. Let @SecretaryCarson know that children belong with their families. Send comments by July 9 at www.Keep-Families-Together.org #KeepFamiliesTogether
- The HUD proposed rule to prohibit “mixed-status” families from living in federally subsidized housing is cruel. Tell @SecretaryCarson to #KeepFamilesTogether by submitting comments by July 9 www.Keep-Families-Together.org
- HUD does NOT fund undocumented immigrants living in subsidized housing! The new proposed rule would break up families & do little to shorten waitlists. #KeepFamiliesTogether Tell @SecretaryCarson NO to this cruel rule! #protectfamilies www.Keep-Families-Together.org
- @SecretaryCarson’s unconscionable proposal would evict over 100k people, incl. 55k deeply poor kids that are US citizens or legal residents, at the height of an #affordablehousing crisis. Let HUD know by July 9 that you oppose this rule www.Keep-Families-Together.org #KeepFamiliesTogether
- #FACTS: Undocumented immigrants do NOT receive housing subsidies–it’s not allowed in law. HUD’s rule isn’t for shortening housing waiting lists but for instilling fear in families. Tell @SecretaryCarson we will not stand for this! www.Keep-Families-Together.org #KeepFamiliesTogether
- Prohibiting “mixed-status” families from being able to live together is cruel & unnecessary. Tell @SecretaryCarson to #KeepFamiliesTogether by July 9 www.Keep-Families-Together.org #protectfamilies
- HUD’s “mixed-status” families rule places thousands, incl. 55,000 children that are US citizens or legal residents, at risk of homelessness. #KeepFamiliesTogether. Tell @SecretaryCarson you stand against splitting up/evicting families by July 9 www.Keep-Families-Together.org
- Hsg stability is crucial for getting families on a path to a better life. HUD’s proposed “mixed-status” rule threatens this path for some low-income immigrants. #KeepFamiliesTogether, support housing asst. for people w/ greatest needs www.Keep-Families-Together.org
- DUE JULY 9: Submit comments now & tell HUD to #KeepFamiliesTogether www.Keep-Families-Together.org
- The time is NOW to let HUD know that its proposed rule to force 25K “mixed-status” immigrant-families (incl. 55k children) to separate or face eviction is just cruel! Submit comments before the July 9 deadline #KeepFamiliesTogether www.Keep-Families-Together.org
- Speak the Truth, @SecretaryCarson! The “mixed-status” immigration rule is based on a lie! Let HUD know that we will not stand for the cruel proposal. Submit comments by July 9 at www.Keep-Families-Together.org #KeepFamiliesTogether
- Let’s be clear. Federal subsidies DO NOT support undocumented immigrants! Then why is @SecretaryCarson proposing such a cruel rule? Let HUD know that a proposal like this will not stand. Send comments by July 9 at www.Keep-Families-Together.org #KeepFamiliesTogether